Monday, September 7, 2009

Bumpin Bumpers

It wasn't until the other week I had not only first heard the term "bumperwhore", but I had also been dubbed the title. A "bumperwhore" according to the web's popular and apprehension Urban Dictionary is a:
2. "A person that puts their car too close to yours."
So though I was at fault, when trying to capture the Subaru's (above image) erratic hatchback, I realized that these labels not only convey a message but also intend for a reaction.

Bumper stickers range from all fields of different interests, whether it be political campaigns, commercial slogans, religious purposes, or very often just for laughs. In the weeks to follow I will document my reaction to particular bumper stickers I encounter. I have frequently found most bumper stickers to be hypocritical or excusable for the apathetic. Other I have found to be insightful, and even a few worth calling up a friend hysterical laughing reciting, "I just saw the best bumper sticker ever!" Whatever the sticker may be, I find myself to be more opinionated, curious, and fascinated in an infinite amount of events taking place during our times, and have finally found a way to creativly express these thoughts through numerous slogans that spark the beginning of an idea.

My first reaction to the above picture...wouldn't it be easier to just have an
electronic marque, than everyone would really get the idea of how devoted and represented the driver is with the short words and pictures on their bumper!
(I might have also just been bitter about being announced a bumperwhore that day)
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment